Thursday, February 13, 2014

Peek Inside a Mormon Temple



Rain dances, mystical voodoo chants, live animal sacrifices- search the internet and you'll find people saying that all kinds of weird goes on in Mormon temples. 
 
I hope that this blog post can clear up some of the misconceptions you've heard about Mormon temples. Go ahead, scroll down and let me take you on a tour so you can see what really goes down in Mormon temples. Don't worry- it's nothing too crazy and IT"S FREE!
 
Baptismal font in LDS Temple

Baptismal Font

Alright, let's start with the baptismal font! In the Bible, Jesus taught about baptism (see, for example, John 3:5). Because many people do not have the opportunity to be baptized in this life, the fonts in temples are used by the living to be baptized in behalf of those who have died. The baptismal font rests on the backs of 12 oxen, following a tradition dating back to the Temple of Solomon that is described in the Old Testament. The oxen represent the 12 tribes of ancient Israel. And no, we DON'T baptize dead people. We are baptized in behalf of our ancestors.
Endowment Room in LDS Temple

Ordinance Rooms

Let's walk into the ordinance room. In ordinance rooms an overview is given of God's plan for His children. In here we learn of our premortal and mortal lives, the creation of the world and the Fall of man, the central role of Jesus Christ as the Redeemer of all God's children, and the blessings they can receive in the next life.
Celestial Room in LDS Temple

Celestial Room

Here we have one of my favorite rooms in the temple. The celestial room symbolizes the exalted and peaceful state that all may achieve through living the gospel of Jesus Christ. This room represents the contentment, inner harmony, and peace available to eternal families in the presence of Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. We go in here to ponder, to read the scriptures, and to feel closer to God.
Sealing room in LDS Temple

Sealing Room

In a sealing room, a bride and bridegroom are married not only for this life but also for eternity. I love looking in the mirrors, because it looks like you can see on forever. This is where I want to get married someday.


Well, that concludes our tour. Any questions? Shoot me a message. I know that the temple is the house of God. I feel closer to God when I am there and feel His spirit.  I don't understand everything, you can be sure of that, but I do know how the temple makes me feel. It uplifts and edifies me every time I go and helps me to be a better person.



A sweet 3 minute video of why we build temples!




Want to learn more? Check out www.mormon.org

























1 comment: